Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Putting It Bluntly About Greed

If old Randy came to you and said, "Wow, I used to be a multimillionaire, but these damned workers' wages and benefits and the tax system have taken me down to a half million, if this keeps up I'll go bankrupt," you might well look at me and think, "He's not exactly starving, but I get the drift of his point." But here's what's really been happening: "I used to have a half million, but now I have 50 million. I'm telling you, we've got to get rid of these unions and we've got to cut Social Security and Medicare and programs for the poor. These things are just ruining the country." Does this make sense to you? That's what's happened folks. There's been NO sacrifice by the wealthiest Americans, only by middle class and poor Americans, all to the BENEFIT of the wealthy. All the while the wealthy have taken, and continue to take, more and more of the national income. Not only have many of the wealthiest of the wealthy shipped jobs and whole plants and facilities overseas to make MORE money (don't be fooled, they were making money in THIS country, but they wanted MORE), they have gotten politicians to lower their tax rates significantly in the last three decades, but they now want to cut income and safety protections for you and others again in this country. They've transferred some of the little wealth some Americans had to themselves. THINK PEOPLE! This is not as complicated as they and their minions want you to believe.

WORD HISTORY
Mean (2)-There are three words "mean" in English. This is the verb for "intend, make intentions known," which is the most common usage of the three different words "mean." Examples: "When I say I'm hungry, I mean it." "I mean to go to the store today," although it may be more common in the past tense, "I meant to go to the store today." "I did not mean to hurt you." It goes back to Indo European "men," which had the notion of "think, reason." This gave its Old Germanic offspring a form which carried forward only in its West Germanic branch (English is part of West Germanic) as "mainijanan," with the meaning "to think, to make a thought known." This gave Old English (Anglo-Saxon) "maenan," which meant "to mean, to intend." This then became "menen," before the modern version. German has "meinen," which means "to mean, to think, to hold as an opinion;" Low German Saxon has "menen;" West Frisian has "miene;" and Dutch has "menen." All have the same general meanings of the English word.

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

U got it, I been trying to follow your blogs for awhile but dont have puter to keep up, only when i get a friend or library. they got plenty money, always want more.

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best to put it bluntly

4:08 PM  
Blogger Johnniew said...

You always nail these kinds of articles & you did again. You are passionate for working people. Me too.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Seth said...

Just tell it about 'em. I agree U are for average and poor Americans. The rich always take care of themselves. They don't need help.

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home