Monday, November 28, 2016

A Friend in West Virginia, Part Thirteen

My friend from Clarksburg, West Virginia does have hobbies, essentially involving music, as he is a major fan of rock bands "KISS" and "Cheap Trick." As he told me more than once, "Music is my addiction." He also said, or at least claimed, to make Christmas decorations, which he sold to make extra money. Probably good hobbies for a man with such a troubled mind.

Someone sent me this, but right now, I cannot remember who it was. Perhaps he sent it, but I just happened to see it when I retrieved the photo below it here. I think there is much truth in it. 

Some of his KISS memorabilia in a photo he sent to me.
WORD HISTORY:
Lest-This word, showing a meaning of, "avoid some potentially bad situation," is a contraction of an expression that came about in English some 800 years ago as "leste" (oh, I remember it well ...). It goes back to Old English (Anglo-Saxon) "þy læs þe," which literally was "thy less the/that," all words from Germanic, but in this case, "thy" was not "thy=your," but rather, "whereby," or even, "the." The "þ" is called a thorn, and was essentially representative of the "th" sound. It is still used in Icelandic. Anyway, the contracted form only included the last two parts, which had already changed to "les(s) t(h)e."  

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home