Friday, February 10, 2017

A Friend in West Virgina, Part Seventeen

The day my Clarksburg WV friend turned on me, he had been emailing some lies to me. He had built a "somewhat" phony online profile and these were some lies he had emailed at times, but that I had just let pass. That day I called his hand and he didn't like it. Just like when Trump gets called out, he goes off on a tirade, and that's what my friend did. He then accused me of, "running your mouth about me behind my back." He later backed down slightly on this, only to come roaring back with it and threatening to "block you forever."  

WORD HISTORY:
Of-This common preposition, closely related to the adverb "off," goes back to Indo European "apo," which had the notion of, "away, away from." This gave its Old Germanic offspring "aba/abo," with the same meaning. This then gave Old English "áf," which meant, "away," "seemingly" used in compounds, and the Germanic form also gave Old English, "of," which meant, "of, from, out of" (still with that underlying notion of "away from"). The other Germanic languages all have forms related to "of," but most are used adverbially; this being closer in meaning to English "off," although Danish and Icelandic "af" is used as a preposition, as are Norwegian and Swedish "av." I'll cover the word "off" soon. 

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He makes so much worse

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When u going to put another on?

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home